You’re My Favorite Deputy, Usually

A few months back, J took Jedi on his first real movie theater outing to watch Avatar in 3D. I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised when they came back smiling, saying they had a great time. J thought he’d brave the same experience with Buzz yesterday evening, for Toy Story 3.

It didn’t go as well.

In fact, they left the movie early. Not too early, but before the end. Apparently, my sensitive, tender son began to scream when he thought his favorite cowboy toy was getting hurt. I think it was Woody. Could have been Lightyear. All I know is, my Buzz didn’t appreciate it. Or so I’ve been told. J would get him calmed down, stuff his maw with Reese’s Pieces, just to have him start screaming again a short time later.

“Oh, well, his concern is kind of cute”, I said in response.

J, giving me a dirty look, “No, it wasn’t.”

Buzz then came home to have an hour-long fit of magnificent proportions.

Good times!

It’s safe to say this will be his one and only theater experience for awhile longer. Obviously, he’s just not ready. I’m sure he’ll love the movie if given a chance, we’ll just have to wait until it comes out on DVD. That way, he can scream as loudly as he wants in the privacy of his own home like normal.

Poor guy! Too bad he wasn’t able to sit through the entire thing – my son was the same. We delayed taking him to the theatre until he was good and ready – around 4. My daughter has been fab at it since she was about 2 1/2. Just think of how much money you’ll save by renting instead!
    Maria @BOREDmommy’s latest post: Little Gems – The Gas Man

on June 22nd, 2010

@Maria @BOREDmommy, Buzz is 4, I thought he’d be ready, especially for Toy Story. Maybe next year. Maybe?

Candace says:

That is so sweet and hilarious LOL From watching Toy Story 1 and 2.. I realized 2 was a LOT more “emotional” than the first one.. And from what I’m hearing, 3 is really sad.. I’m scared to go watch it in my pregnant state! I might end up screaming like Buzz!
    Candace’s latest post: big news all around

FireMom says:

Yeah, BB yelled at the screen once during the scene in question. But he did well. I’m not going to lie when I say that I was nervous about how he would handle the experience with his sensory issues. I’m also going to be honest when I say that I let my own mom be the one to experience his first theater trip this past fall (he had just turned 4) because I was stressing out about it far too much.

It WAS a scary scene. FireDad and I discussed it afterward and we were both afraid of what the outcome would be. Thankfully it ended up okay but, really, that was probably the only huge con of the movie for me.
    FireMom’s latest post: Happy Father’s Day

on June 22nd, 2010

@FireMom, Since he went with his dad, I have no idea what the scene actually entails. It’s somewhat comforting, though, that he had good reason to be upset. I just wish he was able to calm down and watch it the rest of the way through.

Try it again sometime. My daughter is 4 1/2 and watched Toy Story 3 last night with her Daddy. She loved it. Our first movie experience with her was horrid, but over time she has improved immensely.

Marilyn says:

I actually don’t think that I can watch Toy Story 3. I found the first two just too sad for me. When I was a kid (and even now) I find I connect more to cartoon characters and I’m still traumatized by most of the Disney movies I saw as a kid. I’m always surprised that kids can sit through movies that I get so upset over even as an adult.
    Marilyn’s latest post: Give the Child a Prize

on June 22nd, 2010

@Marilyn, Aw, aren’t you sweet! I’ve heard Toy Story is really sad, though. I barely made it through Up! without crying, and I’m sure I would have never heard the end of it if I had. “You’re crying over a kids’ movie?!”

We tried out the free movie today..apparently, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs is scary…and a 20 month old can’t make it through! At least you didn’t have to take Buzz:)

PS You might want to check your feed from me…you might need to re follow..it’s acting funny!

me says:

You took your son to see Avatar? That movie is for older children!
    Shocking.

Kelly says:

I totally cried at the end of TS3. Twice. Once during the scary scene and once at the end.

Okay, don’t hate me, but thinking of Buzz screaming and J stuffing him with Reeses pieces totally made me think of the scene in ET when ET goes ape-poo with the screaming. Ah, good times!
    Kelly’s latest post: A girl and a movie