Gussied

I’m usually last to get ready when we go out. Our strategy has always been that I get the kids dressed first, then J takes over. He’ll squeeze 6 successively smaller feet into socks and shoes while I’m fretting over finding something suitable to wear without holes or stains. When his task is completed, I’m expected to be done as well. In other words, I don’t have a lot of time.

Since the window blinds in my bedroom are kept open during the day, I change in the bathroom. Before the first piece of clothing is slipped on, there’s a knock on the door. “Come on!”, Buzz calls.

I slide and button appropriate articles. Deodorant is applied hurriedly. I think about fixing the mop on top of my head. A few drawers are opened and scoured through in search of a hair clip before I catch the tiny patter of footsteps pacing down the hall.

“Are we going yet?”, I hear Jedi ask J.

“As soon as Mommy’s done”, I hear J sigh in return.

“How long until she’s done?”, he gripes impatiently.

“I’m almost done!”, I yell back.

Forget doing my hair, I just slip it back in the usual ponytail. I’ve given up on makeup. If I remember, I’ll swipe some chapstick on my lips in the car later. I barely have time to brush my teeth before Abby’s banging on the door again. “Come on, Mommy!”, Buzz repeats with more urgency. “I need to pee!”, Jedi whines. Fine, I’m done. 10 minutes, tops, from start to finish. It’s a good thing I’m not high maintenance.

Angella says:

It would be a disservice to the world if I went out in public without makeup. Hence, I wake up before the kids do…it’s for everyone’s safety, really.

on July 13th, 2010

@Angella, And I know this is part of my problem, I should get ready in advance. But I don’t see the point in getting ready if we’re not going anywhere. And I usually don’t know if we’re going anywhere until the last minute.

LOL…it’s called natural beauty, my friend.
    Best,
    Tina

on July 14th, 2010

@Tina, Ha! I wish.

Aging Mommy says:

Even going out for dinner I am lucky if I get ten minutes in which to get ready! Oh for a night of getting ready to go out at a leisurely pace, perusing my closet deciding what to wear (now made easy as I only have one winter and one summer “going out” dress) wine glass in hand as I then decide which shoes to wear too :-)
    Aging Mommy’s latest post: Hotel California Would Have Been Quieter

on July 14th, 2010

@Aging Mommy, You’re still ahead of me. I own 0 “going out” dresses, total. But that’s OK, because I’ve never been anywhere that I couldn’t wear jeans to, anyway. We’re fancy like that ;).

Marilyn says:

We are one and the same when it comes to getting ready. I can’t be bothered to apply make-up or worry about my clothes if we’re just hanging around the house. After all I think I only have 2 shirts with no stains on them and I can’t waste those just sitting around here.
    Marilyn’s latest post: How to Stop Dress Slippage- Wednesday of Few Words

on July 14th, 2010

@Marilyn, Exactly. Plus, it just makes unnecessary laundry. And who wants more laundry?

The ponytail is so convenient, isn’t it? That is my “style” these days.
    Rudri Patel’s latest post: Random Stranger

on July 15th, 2010

@Rudri Patel, Possibly too convenient. But I’m glad it is because I wouldn’t know what to do with myself without it.