Sometimes Losing is Winning

When I was a kid, all we had were board games. I’d play with my mom or brother or whoever else I could prod into a game. I preferred playing with my mom, because on most occasions she’d let me win. Jedi has been raised in the digital age, however, and our house is full of tech gadgets. Most of what he plays are against computer opponents. Even the classics of my youth have been reinvented electronically.

Nothing takes the place of an actual board game, though. Of time spent gathered around a table as a family, rolling real dice in your hand and moving legitimate pieces. Which is why J bought the true version of Monopoly after Jedi had taken a particular interest in the iPad edition.

Game on!

Jedi vs. J, the matchup was set. I acted the important role of the money-hungry banker, which consisted of, but not limited to, keeping bills out of Abby’s grabby hands. Unfortunately, by the time we were ready, it was only half an hour until bedtime. Anyone who has ever played Monopoly knows that it can’t be appropriately played in a half hour.

Luckily, Jedi had to use the bathroom when it was almost time to call it quits. Which gave J an opportunity to make a swift deposit of all but 8 of his dollars to the bottom of Jedi’s cash pile. Technically cheating, but for a good cause. On J’s next turn, he landed on one of Jedi’s properties. The cost was more than J had, which meant the bout was over. Jedi “won” his first real game of Monopoly, with high-fives and fanfare. Because I’ve come to appreciate that in parenting, sometimes losing is winning as well.

Marilyn says:

I love board games. We always played them (and in fact I still do). I’ve bought some of the preschool board games for my son but we haven’t reached Monopoly age yet…although I think there is a preschool Monopoly too.

I’m not sure if you ever play the “quick” version of Monopoly where everyone randomly picks three properties to own at the beginning of the game? It speeds things up a little bit.
    Marilyn’s latest post: How to Stop Dress Slippage- Wednesday of Few Words

on July 14th, 2010

@Marilyn, We’re not really a board game kind of family, again with all the tech gadgets. It’s kind of nice, though, to play the real thing.

I’ve never heard of that quick version. We might have to give it a try next time.

Monopoly was invented by some sadistic jerk. Just sayin’.
    TheKitchenWitch’s latest post: Grilled Pears Wrapped in Proscuitto

on July 14th, 2010

@TheKitchenWitch, It was always the one game growing up that no one ever wanted to play with me. Kids seem to like it, though.

My oldest is just getting into board games, which makes me happy because I really am into board games. However he’s a CRAZY CHEAT!
    Christine LaRocque’s latest post: Summer deprived

on July 15th, 2010

@Christine LaRocque, Ha! My son was trying to cheat his way through Monopoly, too, but we wouldn’t let him. Even though we ended up cheating for him.

I love playing board games. But finding someone to play with me is hard.
    Amber’s latest post: Like A Melted Reeses Peanut Butter Cup

on July 15th, 2010

@Amber, Finding someone to play seems to be the trickiest part, I found.

My kids love board games. And are always after me me to play. I remember a Monopoly game that lasted nearly a week! I’ll have to remember these losing strategies!
    Catch the Kids’s latest post: New Age Dress-ups

on July 16th, 2010

@Catch the Kids, A week? Come to think of it, we rarely finished a game when I was a kid. My mom made us put it up after a few hours and whoever had the most at that time won.

My husband and I have board game dates after the kids go to bed. You’re right, nothing is as good as the real game.

on July 16th, 2010

@Midwest Mommy, Aw, I wish my husband liked board games more.