Squirrel!

Buzz has an utter fascination with animals. From penguins to turtles to bears, oh my! Even when those animals are tree-climbing, garden-wrecking rodents. Thus, when I looked out the window and saw a squirrel, standing still as a statue on its hind legs perched in our direction, I tempted fate by calling Buzz over. I hoped for the best case scenario, which involved a cute little critter and a giddy little boy, but knew deep down as soon as I announced a word the nut-hoarder would most likely move.

“Buzz! Come see the squirrel! He’s so cute! Aw… look!”, I naively proclaimed.

It was a simple few feet jaunt, but of course by the time he made his way the squirrel was seeking it’s next land to conquer, ready to run. Buzz caught a quick glimpse of a bushy tail before it hopped itself out of view. Consequently, my son’s faced turned down. His lips began to pout. Tears welled in his eyes. The cries burst forth.

“Squirrel, get back here!”, he called after.

I tried to turn his attention elsewhere. We have blocks, we have books, we have movies. None of it mattered without a squirrel friend. The squirrel I hyped so adamantly.

“Where’d it go?”, he demanded in sobs, distressed.

And then, just like that, he mentioned something about a bunny.

I can’t help you there, kid. Though I’ve learned my lesson. If I do happen to see a bunny, I’m not going to tell him unless it’s trapped inside a cage.

jesser says:

Nature is so darn unreliable. Irritating, really. ;)

on July 16th, 2010

@jesser, No joke. Darn wildlife, running all wild and stuff.

I made that same mistake one time in our backyard with a bunny. Never again!

on July 16th, 2010

@Krystyn, I think the little critters see we have excited kids in the house and do it on purpose.

He’d love my parent’s house.

They have creatures everywhere back there and have even trained squirrels to come up and take a peanut from you.

on July 16th, 2010

@Amber, We have 1 squirrel here that came up and took a piece of bread out of my husband’s hand. I’d be too afraid the thing would jump up and attack me.

We have possums that use our verandah railings as a playground in the evening. They never fail to scoot when I call the kids for a look…
    Catch the Kids’s latest post: New Age Dress-ups

on July 16th, 2010

@Catch the Kids, My parents used to have possums that would come up and eat their cat food at night. The only possums my kids have seen, though, have been at the zoo.

He needs to come visit us in the desert. Squirrels, mouses, snakes, deers, and coyotes are only some that we may see without even visiting the zoo.

on July 16th, 2010

@Rudri Patel, Eeee, snakes! But it does sound like he’d like it there. I know we have deer around here but they don’t come out very often.

Marilyn says:

I suppose if you really wanted to be all crazy, you could toss some peanuts out there to tempt the squirrel back…but then you might have a squirrel for a pet.
    Marilyn’s latest post: This is Why I Don’t Like Lemony Snicket

on July 17th, 2010

@Marilyn, The last thing I need are more pets. Squirrels are cute at a distance, but they can go off and do their own squirrel-y thing.