Kindergarten is Hard

Kindergarten is hard, people.

Or so I’ve been told.

On Wednesdays, Jedi comes home with a folder in his backpack. This folder contains general school papers for the parents to read and a homework assignment that needs to be turned in. Of course he missed last week, but the week before he had to trace and write all of his letters. Simple, really. It’s easy for him, too, though he grumbles the entire time because he’d rather be doing something, anything, else. A hatred of homework begins young. The assignment this week consisted of coloring in a few yellow items, along with a separate large red apple to scribble in as well. He also had a library book to read, but that wasn’t a problem. At least he loves to read.

Coloring, however, is just not his forte.

“This homework is SO HARD!”, Jedi complained while coloring in a yellow duck.

I was afraid to tell him that in the not so distant future, there will be classes like calculus and biology and chemistry, most of which I still don’t understand. When those subjects come along and he’s bringing home intricate equations and talk of dissections or periodic tables, then he can complain about homework being hard. I’ll even agree with him.

Until then, just color in the yellow duck.

“Ugh, am I almost DONE?”, he asks, still whining. No, no you’re not. Not for another 12 years, at least.

Kate says:

Hee hee. We already started forgetting homework. Sheesh.
    Kate’s latest post: Just say when

Just wait until third grade! 30 minutes a night! I am stunned. I never had regular homework until 5th grade.

My daughter is in pre-k and has homework. I think it is way too early for it !
    Rudri Patel’s latest post: Advice From A Stranger

Annie says:

My girls are in pre-k and has homework.

I think the problem is that some teachers give lots of homework.
    Annie’s latest post: Fase Escolar – School Phase

Aging Mommy says:

Great post! I’m glad I don’t have all those years of homework ahead of me, one good thing about no longer being young :-)
    Aging Mommy’s latest post: Going Under

Poor, Jedi. It’s tough isn’t it?

I’m so glad my oldest loves her homework. She actually gets excited when she has some.

Why are they getting homework in kindergarten? That seems a little over-the-top. There are communities in Ontario that have banned all homework for grades under grade 8. Apparently they’ve done studies that show young kids learn better and are less stressed about school when they don’t have homework. I can see that.
    Marilyn (A Lot of Loves)’s latest post: How I Survived A Plane Trip With Kids

Stacia says:

When I took chemistry, I just colored everything red and figured that would do. =>
    Stacia’s latest post: Belated Photo Tuesday

Cathy says:

I just wrote a different twist on things….at least it’s him with the homework and not you! I dislike parent homework!
    Cathy’s latest post: Hey Teach- Its the KIDS in School

jesser says:

LOL. It’s all in the eye of the beholder, I suppose. ;)