Laughing at a Bad Day

I was having a day. A very bad day. I’ve been having a lot of those, it seems. This day, however, was just packed with very bad things. First, my daughter fell from the top bunk bed (she’s fine, thank god). She knows how to climb up, but coming down is obviously a problem. Soon after, Buzz broke the glass on one of my picture frames. I may have yelled, harshly. A little while later, I cried the ugly cry over the phone. Then, Abby dropped her plate of dinner to the floor. Twice. There’s nothing quite like picking rice out of carpet.

As dinner was over, I dispensed the drink order. Milk, chocolate milk, apple juice. Abby prefers to drink her milk out of a big girl cup now. She took a few sips and placed it on the coffee table in front of the sofa. Buzz came along and picked it up, playing a game of keep-away with the half cup of liquid.

I’ve been playing this game enough to sense yet more bad things about to happen when I’d already had enough bad things happen that day to normally last a week, I took the cup away and put it in the refrigerator. Abby, however, insisted rather indignantly that she wasn’t done and retrieved her drink.

“If you guys spill it, I’m going to be mad”, I warned. The words hadn’t even completely left my lips before there was a puddle of white milk sinking into my already messy carpet.

I couldn’t get mad, however. Because I saw Jedi, who was burying his face in the couch pillow, an attempt to squelch his laughter.

“Are you laughing?”, I asked him.

“I didn’t mean to”, he replied, “the diabetes makes me laugh when I’m not supposed to.”

I didn’t think it was possible, but I guess we found the one positive to having diabetes: you can apparently blame it for everything.

Oh C, I feel for you. I had one of those days last week. I asked my daughter to bring in a bag of quinoa from the car. Just when I was about to say don’t drop it, the whole bag of quinoa wept onto the floor spilling into every crevice of the kitchen. Cleanup took at least an hour. At least in your house there was some laughter. In mine, total silence.
    Rudri Patel’s latest post: What I Hope For

Kate says:

Laugh or cry. Yup. Been there.
    Kate’s latest post: Beep beep beep beep welcome to 2011

Not a wonderful way to ring in the new year. I am surprised at how optimistic you stay even when you have a string of bad days. By this point, I’m usually huddled on the floor, snarfing a bag of chocolate, and drowning my sorrows in a glass of Dr. Pepper. And writing about it. ; )
    Amber’s latest post: Virtual Hot Cocoa

on January 3rd, 2011

@Amber, Oh, believe me, I do that, too. I prefer Pepsi to Dr. Pepper, but still same difference. It’s just when I look back on it, I prefer to remember what made me laugh than what made me cry.

Stacia says:

My daughter always says she has a giggle germ in her tummy. Whatever went wrong still makes me want to snarf chocolate and Dr. Pepper, just like Amber, but it does make me smile a teeny bit. A teeny, tiny bit.
    Stacia’s latest post: Haiku Friday

Oh that one…he’s a smartypants. Sorry you had a rough day girl. First round is on me.
    Best,
    Tina

At least someone was enjoying the mayhem.
    Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves’s latest post: Loving the Now

Kelly says:

That Jedi is a ham.

Sorry you were having such a miserable day. They happen way too often, but at least you got a good laugh out of it!
    Kelly’s latest post: Bubonic

[...] Laughing at a Bad Day Whatever Gets Us Through the Day Kids Break Stuff Bursts Just Like Rocky Fighting that Russian Guy How I Imagine it Went Fudging Gosh Dang Shoot Doesn’t Have the Same Ring to it Some Mornings I am a Nosy Neighbor From the Scent of Powder What I’m Here For A Big Box of Knives jQuery(document).ready(function($) { window.setTimeout('loadGoogle1_5076()',1000); }); function loadGoogle1_5076(){ jQuery(document).ready(function($) { $('.dd-google1-5076').remove();$.getScript('https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js'); }); } Comment? « Santa Claus is Coming! [...]