Potty-Training Success Has a Price

“Would you like some chocolate milk?”, I asked Buzz, fully acknowledging it as a bribe.

He wasn’t taking the bait, however. “Go poopie!”

Here I am, running a mommyblog and posting about poop. Which I actually try to avoid. Though this isn’t about the act itself, but my son’s insistence that he must go when he clearly doesn’t have to. Because I’ve spent more time waiting at the bathroom door this past week than Arnold Schwarzenegger’s spent with his housekeeper. And we all know what happened there.

“How about a movie? Do you want to watch a movie?”, it’s an honest attempt, though not enough to alter his position.

“Go poopie!”

“We’ve just been in there for an hour. That’s a good boy going on the potty, but there’s no need to stay in there for so long. You do your thing, you come out. You do not go in, play for an hour, then go back in 5 minutes later. No one needs to spend that much time in the bathroom. Unless you’re Mommy and it’s the only chance you have for a break.”, I try my best to calmly explain.

“Go poopie! Go poopie! Go poooopie!”, morphing into an anthem.

Like every instance before, I oblige his need for the bathroom, just in case. After 20 minutes with nothing to show for it, I say enough, time to come out. I even offer up a pony. Buzz, however, is indignant.

“No! GO POOPIE!”

I thought having the kid out of diapers was supposed to be easier.

Oh no, nothing is worse than those nebulous months between all-diaper and all-potty. It’s like you’re living in a danger zone where any moment pee and poop could come bursting forth, staining you, him, your couch, his carseat…

My 2yo is starting to express interest in using the potty, but I’m not so sure I have the strength to encourage him. (How’s that for bad parenting?)
    Kristen @ Motherese’s latest post: School’s Out for Summer

on May 20th, 2011

@Kristen @ Motherese, Not bad parenting at all. My daughter is 2.5 and I haven’t really encouraged her, either. I wanted to get my son going first. And I think we finally have now that he just turned 5. I feel like a terrible parent because he took so long, but some kids just take longer.

Kate says:

I loathe potty training, but it’s headed our way. eeek

on May 20th, 2011

@Kate, It feels continuous over here. I have to start on Abby next. Ugh.

Oh, I had a friend in a very similar situation. My daughter? She’ll ignore the toilet and go on the floor. Which is better I wonder?
    Amber’s latest post: A Very Bleak Future Indeed

on May 20th, 2011

@Amber, That was my son up until a few weeks ago, he’d love to go on the floor. We’re now here in this stage which is rage-worthy in a different way. Then again, my son just turned 5 so hopefully your daughter doesn’t take as long. I haven’t even started trying really with my 2.5 year old daughter, I wanted to get him first. The fun, it just never ends!

Stacia says:

My son poops a teeny bit every time he goes to the bathroom. It’s like somehow his brain got confused and he things he has to eke something out instead of, you know, drop a whole load, if you will pardon the imagery.

on May 21st, 2011

@Stacia, My son does the same. It’s part of the reason why we’re at the bathroom so much. One little one here, one little one next time, and so on.

liz says:

I have an almost-3 year old who is fighting even the notion of potty training with every fiber of her being. Today she threw a fit to even watch the Potty Power DVD.

My first was so much easier to train!

on May 23rd, 2011

@liz, My Buzz was the same, he knew what he should do, he just didn’t want to do it. Now my 2.5 year old daughter has shown some interest, but man, I don’t even want to think about that yet.

Sarah says:

Oh this one makes me laugh. My husband keeps hinting at the fact that our just-now-3-year-old needs to get his butt diaper-free. And I keep saying, “Yes, dear, just as soon as school is done for the year and we no longer use daycare and it’s nice outside EVERY DAY.” So, I’ve said this over and over again and I’m trying to convince myself that it’s actually going to happen. No, I’m trying to accept it, I guess. Either way: potty training = ew. Good Luck with all that poop! :)

I am sooo over the trips to the bathroom out of boredom! And, then 5 minutes later, there is a puddle on the floor. I’m sooo ready to go back to diapers!
    Krystyn’s latest post: In Stitches Review and Giveaway