Yesterday, my daughter came to me pointing at her throat, clearly an issue. She had been carrying a small glass marble in her hand earlier that was now gone, so naturally I jumped to conclusions. Though Abby was eager to play along.
“Did you swallow the marble?”, I asked. She knows she isn’t supposed to put things in her mouth, but she does anyway to spite me. 3 year olds are fun that way.
“Yeah”, she whined, her face scrunching into concern. I studied her closely for a moment, and while her throat may have been bothering her, all else was fine. Still, strangely enough this was my first instance of a foreign object allegedly swallowed and I was unsure what my next step should be. Thus, I did what my instincts told me to do and turned to the internet.
Surely I can’t be the only parent of a kid who’s swallowed a marble, as I took my quandary to Google. Where it turns out there many, many, many other kids who have sucked down all sorts of things. The advice I found was to monitor my child, but I would have to strain through her stool, much like when you make jam, to ensure the marble passed safely. If it hasn’t within a few days, a doctor’s visit would be in order.
As if I’m not familiar with my kids’ bowels enough as it is.
A while later, I was still trying to pep talk myself into digging through my daughter’s fecal matter when I went to clean the boys’ room as a distraction. Under the pile of Star Wars figures dumped out that morning, there it was. Not in the pit of her stomach as she led me to believe, but in the depths of the toy-strewn floor.
I’m just glad I don’t have to strain poo.