The Stories We Tell Over Breakfast

Just like you’re not considered a true momblog until you’ve retold a good poop tale, the same can be said in real life. Once you become a mother, the list of suitable conversation topics gets skewed. As adamant as you are beforehand that it won’t happen, you will find yourself recounting every motion of your darling’s bathroom visits in disturbing detail.

Even over breakfast.

My parents and I went out for a morning meal recently. The hostess sat us at a table next to a large family with a number of cute little kids. One of which was apparently in the throes of potty training, which of course the mother wanted to include everyone else in. While in the middle of our breakfast, I overheard their conversation shift familiar gears.

“Speaking of going number 2″, she began, “yesterday he came to me and said he needed to go poop. So he took down his underwear and starting running through the house with his pants around his ankles.” That’s when one of her other family members asked a question to clarify before continuing on, “He said he had to poop. But he never went poop…”. And on it went.

She said poop at least 10 times while telling this story.

All over a breakfast of sausage links and pancakes.

I’ve written about poop twice now just this week alone.

I wonder if that lady has a blog?

Tiffany says:

Poop and sausage links…not sure I could stomach that!
    Tiffany’s latest post: Princess Peepers

on November 3rd, 2011

@Tiffany, I know, it’s a little too similar for my tastes.

Mrs Dzo says:

Somehow I’ve managed to avoid the in-depth discussions of what we find in the baby’s diapers every day, but I fear I may be storing it all up for a giant explosion of a story one day…
    Mrs Dzo’s latest post: Wherein I Start Writing about Parenthood Again – Like I Was Supposed to Be Doing

on November 3rd, 2011

@Mrs Dzo, Kind of like how a baby stores it all up for a giant explosion in it’s diaper.

Sarah says:

I have to say that I’m hell-a happy to be out of the poop-talking days. Now if only my kids would get the message. They can’t go 5 minutes without referring to poop, poop smells, butts, butt-tocks, farts…and so on and so on and so on. I’m thinking maybe THEY need to start a blog, too. :)
    Sarah’s latest post: MomMamaMommy!: A Tale of Two Boingerheads

on November 3rd, 2011

@Sarah, The sad thing is, my kid’s blog would probably be more popular than mine.

Hmm, not sure if I could eat my sausage after discussing poop.

Shell says:

If she doesn’t, she needs one!
    Shell’s latest post: Pour Your Heart Out: How Many Glasses Is Too Many?