In a Rush to Wait

The first day at Buzz’s new school went shockingly well. I’ve said the boy has a way of surprising me, and he did yet again. The second day, however, started with a bit of a hitch.

Buzz’s new school begins half an hour earlier than where he went before, and where Jedi still goes, so I gave us an extra 20 minutes in the morning. There’s a new routine to learn, and it could have a few kinks to work out. As such, I woke Buzz first and set his bowl of Lucky Charms in front of him while I went about dragging everyone else out of bed.

His bus would be at the end of our driveway by 8:10, they told me.

Constantly aware of the clock, I did my best to make sure we made good time. His teeth were brushed, his hair was combed, the pen he marked on his hand washed off. Pleased with myself for adhering to schedule, I bundled him up in his coat with his backpack on his shoulders and opened the front door, hurrying up to wait.

And there we stood, staring out the screen door. Waiting.

And waiting.

Hmmm… the bus should be here by now.

When some more minutes passed as if in slow motion, still hopefully and pathetically waiting like an anxious teenager being stood up at prom, I knew the time had come to accept that the bus should have definitely been there already.

I made a few calls and the bus finally arrived, eventually. He bounded aboard, glad to be on his way. But the second day at his new school and I already feel like stuffing myself with donuts to suppress this feeling like we’ve been dumped.

You’ve definitely got your hands full. I hope the new school works out for your son. My dad and brother are lifelong diabetics and it is a lot of work. They both take really good care of themselves and are both doing great. My dad’s had a kidney and pancreas transplant going on 16 years, it was supposed to last 7!
    Marie@feedingfive’s latest post: Tag, I am It

on January 10th, 2012

@Marie@feedingfive, That is so great to hear. The thought of my son going through his life dealing with his diabetes is daunting, but I have to remember that many have done it and have lived long lives with it.

I hate that feeling: all dressed up and no place to go. If only we could be like our kids are, oblivious to the problem and then happy to be climbing aboard a bus. But then who would do the worrying?

I hear you on the donuts. (My personal comfort food is Reese’s PB Cups, but donuts work too.)
    Kristen @ Motherese’s latest post: Reflections

on January 10th, 2012

@Kristen @ Motherese, I love some Reese’s PB Cups, too. Or ice cream. Or brownies. Or cake. Or… well, you get the point.

Yay, I’m glad he likes it!

I hate when the bus forgets. I had to call in a few times myself.
    Amber’s latest post: So I Finally Saw Rocky

Stacey says:

Oh man! Morning routines are so hard. My kids missed the bus quite a few times, but now there is no bus and they just have to walk.
    Stacey’s latest post: Top Ten Jobs

on January 10th, 2012

@Stacey, Walking would definitely come with its own pros and cons.

Just catching up on the latest and the school change….sucks that the bus was late but I am glad that he took it so well. Hope he likes his new school and you feel good about it too?
    Best,
    Tina
    Tina’s latest post: OneKid Town

on January 10th, 2012

@Tina, Let’s just say he was taking it better than I, for the most part. Or at least I thought he was. After this post was written yesterday we had an issue. But that’s another post for another day. Sigh.

New schedules are so hard without bus hiccups, here’s to the third day being an absolute charm. :)
    moosh in indy.’s latest post: tiny giants doing gymnastics.

Morning routines hold surprises at the most inopportune moments. But nothing like donuts to help you through, right?
    Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri’s latest post: Six