Sleeping Super

The Incredible Hulk. Spiderman. Iron Man. Captain America. Wolverine.

I have a 5 year old boy who wants to be a superhero.

He spends his days hulk smashing and climbing invisible spiderwebs in an effort to save the world. People in his pictures are colored green, blue, and red. In the bath, he’ll take his shampoo-lathered hair and stretch it into Wolverine-inspired side horns. Over the years, he has acquired a collection of super alter egos, each with it’s own distinctive look and plastic freeze-framed mask to match. He changes in and out with the speed of Superman. His imagination is nothing if not wild.

Even when it shouldn’t be.

“Put the Incredible Hulk on for bed”, Buzz insisted within moments of turning the sheets down for the night, his feet fighting for footing in the green and purple faux-muscled fabric disguise.

“No, we’re not wearing that to bed. You know you need to wear your pajamas”, I told him. Because even superheroes take off their mask for a good night of rest. My pleas were only met with encouragement, however, as his little sister helped fasten the closures in the back. The trusty sidekick.

Suffice to say, he wore the Incredible Hulk to bed. And the world slept a little safer.

But at least he took off the mask.

Eva Gallant says:

He is such a cute superhero!! I knew there was a reason a slept more soundly last night; the world was safe!

I just stopped by from SITS to say hello; hope you find time to do the same.
    Eva Gallant’s latest post: Some Days It Just Doesn’t Pay to Get Up!

My son will read, play with Lego’s and be pretty calm, but once he’s with his boy cousin who is 1 year older, oh my gosh, they run and play with swords and are in constant superhero motion for hours. I am glad he is close by since I only have one son. Their energy together exhausts me. It’s great fun to watch though.
    Marie@feedingfive’s latest post: Mormon Lingo

on January 20th, 2012

@Marie@feedingfive, It’s so nice when your kid has someone to play like that with. Because tackling them is always better than tackling you.

My five-year-old is in a super villain stage. Too bad they don’t live closer and then they could battle for world domination until exhaustion.
    Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves’s latest post: Oatmeal Blueberry (or Cranberry) Muffin Recipe

on January 20th, 2012

@Marilyn @ A Lot of Loves, My Buzz is also really into zombies, for some strange reason. So superheroes, super villains, and zombies. Fun match.

Ginger says:

Well, I bet you all slept a little sounder knowing he was there to protect you!
    Ginger’s latest post: It’s My SITS Day!

I love 5 year olds! So happy, so vivacious!
    Missy | The Literal Mom’s latest post: My Memories are Good, and a #giveaway

on January 23rd, 2012

@Missy | The Literal Mom, So incredibly exhausting!

My daughter, as I write this, is dressed up in her Minnie Mouse costume. She’s running around singing the Mickey Mouse clubhouse sound. It is pretty amusing.
    Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri’s latest post: Running Through Papago Park

on January 23rd, 2012

@Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri, I bet she’s super cute! I don’t remember having nearly so many dress up clothes when I was a kid.