Our central heat stopped working Saturday afternoon. As such, we’ve spent the weekend trying not only to keep warm in the face of 12ºF nights until the part needed could be ordered and repaired today, but also sustain our good humor. Here are 6 games we made up specifically for the occasion to pass the time, if you should ever find yourself in the same unfortunate situation:
1. How Many Layers Can You Wear: A fun game that involves putting on every article of clothing you can find, until you either run out of pieces to wear or are so padded you can no longer move your arms to put more on.
2. Who Is the Coldest: Where you go around the house asking those playing how they are on a scale from cold to freezing. Whoever is the coldest wins an extra blanket.
3. Musical Space Heaters: Which room needs to be heated next and which space heater should we use and where, exactly, to be of most benefit? A particularly rousing game played at bedtime.
4. I Freeze, You Freeze, We All Freeze for Ice Cream: A game that is best played individually, where you gauge if the extra goose bumps would be worth it for a bowl of fudge brownie ice cream. The game is fixed, however, since it’s always worth it.
5. What Can I Bake Next: This can be particularly challenging for those who are not bakers, but the goal is to keep your oven running continuously to give off more heat. Though there are usually multiple winners, because who doesn’t love baked goods.
6. Cold Feet: How cold can you go? Walk along a long stretch of subzero degree hard flooring in bare feet first thing in the morning. Only the strongest make it there and back.