My Heart, Bullied

“I forgot tell you, there was a bully at school today”, he said right before dinner. “He grabbed my coat by the hood at recess today and swung me around until I fell on the cement basketball court.” His bottom lip quivered as he relayed this scene to me.

And that’s when my heart began to hurt.

“Why did he do this?”, I asked, internally raging at this elementary-aged punk. But I had even more questions. “Was it just because he thought he could? Has he done this before? Did the teacher see?”

He looked at me before replying, his long lashes I’ve admired since his infancy still protecting his eyes. “Yeah, I guess he just thought he could”, he only answered. “But luckily the hood on my coat cushioned my head from hitting the cement.”

And that’s when my heart began to break.

I went on to tell him just how amazing he truly is. How, when a kid is that great, other kids will try to knock them down. And he shouldn’t let them. Don’t ever let anyone make you feel like you’re less, I told him. Because you’re so much more than that.

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. – Elizabeth Stone

And that is what makes parenting so incredibly hard.

That quote couldn’t be truer. Oh my heart would break, not because he was physically hurt (which he doesn’t seem to be) but just to think he was treated that way.

Let him know that for kids to be capable of that they probably have a horrible home life, or something is very lacking. It’s so Pollyanna but you’ve got to be kind to everyone because unfortunately many kids are missing that love at home.
    Marie@feedingfive’s latest post: $23 Well Spent

on March 10th, 2012

@Marie@feedingfive, Yes, exactly. I did mention that something must have been missing from the other kid’s life to act like that, he seemed to get it.

Kate says:

Oh, shame on the bully! I wish my heart didn’t know that ache. Hugs to you and yours.
    Kate’s latest post: Snapshots

Melissa says:

That’s so true. And your son IS a great kid. I wanted to just hug him after I read, “luckily the hood on my coat cushioned my head.” Bullying is a tough issue but the things you told him were just perfect.
    Melissa’s latest post: forward, somehow

Can I come on down and kick that bully’s ass?
    TheKitchenWitch’s latest post: Nerves

on March 10th, 2012

@TheKitchenWitch, That’s the first thing I wanted to do, too, so you’d have to stand in line. Though then I began to reason that a 32 year old woman probably shouldn’t beat up on a 7 year old kid, even though I really, really wanted to.

Farrah says:

Oh my gosh this made me so sad.

I am glad he told you- but ugh. Tough mom moment for sure. Bullies suck.

Stacia says:

Oh, my heart is breaking for you and your little guy. Sometimes, the hurt in this world seems absolutely never-ending. And maybe you, me, and Kitch could get together and gang up on that 7-year-old. That seems fair. Totally fair.
    Stacia’s latest post: For Whom the Snow Falls

Oh, that made my stomach drop a little. Unfortunately I have to hear it a lot but hearing it from your own kid is awful.
    Hope it gets better?
    Best,
    Tina
    Tina’s latest post: Flashes

This is one of the hardest parts of parenting!
    Missy | The Literal Mom’s latest post: How to Earn Your Own iPad – Get a Fairy Hobmother

We’ve recently experienced some bullying issues with my daughter. It is so hard to know what approach to take. And as much I try to comfort her and counteract the negativity, I wonder how much of the bullying has left a lasting impression.
    Rudri Bhatt Patel @ Being Rudri’s latest post: An Unexpected Marriage Proposal